Palm Beach surf report from October 2017 -

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Re: Palm Beach surf report from October 2017 -

Post by mil7950 »

i leave the bail open occasionally and close it when a fish starts peeling off line and ive had more success with that. will the hook set if theres little drag?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

If you are using pyramid or surf weights they generally will help to set a circle hook but I like to fish them with the drag just below fighting drag. Pompano bluefish and whiting tend to be aggressive strikers and hook themselves. If you are losing a lot of fish due to this it make be sand perch or small runners/jacks that can't get the hooks in their mouth.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Might want to try Sputnik sinkers as well. They are expensive, but will really anchor your line down and increase hook ups. I use them when the surf is up and 5/6 ounce pyramids are rolling all over the place. A 4 ounce Sputnik will keep that rig anchored in place.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

is it different for snapper? i cant land any snapper on circles unless im holding the rod in my hand. ill try the drag below fighting drag next time, though. i think youre right in that its most likely smaller fish. still havent been able to catch whiting on anything, you think fishbites on 1/0 circles will work?

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

The same works for snapper with circles fish the reel in gear but loose enough drag that the rod won't get yanked from holder. Whiting tend to be a spring and summer fish and I caught most of mine north of Jupiter inlet as well as croakers.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I agree with you about fish being right in the trough. I have been fishing fleas lately because I don't have to stop at the bait store, and if I don't produce, I haven't spent any money. I have a good eye for fish in the trough and I haven't seen anything lately. I also agree the water temperature has greaty decreased . I am a big believer if there are fleas in the surf that's what the fish are eating. I also understand I need to change what's not working for me, rigid thinking isn't putting fish in the cooler for me, thanks for the suggestions.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

you guys ever use knocker rigs with pyramid sinkers? gonna try it tonight unless someone says its a horrendous idea lol

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Knocker rig with pyramid ...... I would say mad genius small chance mostly horrid idea. (tommy

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

Lol tried it for a bit last night, worked just like a normal knocker rig but I don't think I'll use it again. I prefer fish finders over knockers the majority of the time. Tide was the highest I'd seen it in awhile and there weren't man big waves but the current was strong, used a 4oz pyramid. Water still colder than usual. Got 1 bonnethead and 4 or 5 jacks.

Not sure what it was but something would occasionally smash my bait with a quick pop and then leave. I reeled in after it happened a couple times and my bait would be mangled. Is that indicative of bluefish?

Anyways it was a pretty fun night. No snapper which is what I hope for but I was using bait twice the size of what I normally use so in not surprised other stuff was hitting it. Dicks has a sale going on right now, after taxes a 10ft 8000 size Penn pursuit combo is $85. Girlfriends family gave me a gift $50 gift card there so thinking about picking it up to go after 4-5ft sharks and just surf fishing in general.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

No current = knocker rig more current more leader

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mil7950 wrote:you guys ever use knocker rigs with pyramid sinkers? gonna try it tonight unless someone says its a horrendous idea lol
I have a couple of these to do precisely that: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sea-str ... ker-slides

Edit
After thinking about it, I guess technically it wouldn't be a knocker rig with those... more like a fish finder.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Hi everyone, went fishing yesterday morning the surf was tough and the wind was right in my face. I collected some fleas and headed towards the intercoastal to escape the wind. I fished south of the Southern Boulevard bridge with two rods and the fleas. I caught two slab Pompano, two Cownosed rays and lost two fish that broke me off. I found it interesting to catch the Pompano inside, when I haven't caught one in six weeks in the surf. Talking about rigs for bait , I use a pyramid sinker on the bottom, two dropper loops spaced apart with hooks and a swivel above. I snell the hooks. I use a dropper loop for the weight also so I can change it on the fly.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

juvinious wrote:
mil7950 wrote:you guys ever use knocker rigs with pyramid sinkers? gonna try it tonight unless someone says its a horrendous idea lol
I have a couple of these to do precisely that: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sea-str ... ker-slides

Edit
After thinking about it, I guess technically it wouldn't be a knocker rig with those... more like a fish finder.
I used to use those until somewhat recently they ran out of them at walmart and I picked up a pack of these:

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Eagle-C ... aps--Brass

I've been using them ever since and I prefer them over sliders. I think they affect the line less (probably doesnt matter) and theyre like a dollar for a pack of 50. Usually I use one of those and a bead to a swivel, then about 1-3ft 20lb fluorocarbon leader. 2-4oz pyramids from the beach and 1-2oz on the intercoastal. Ballyhoo is probably my favorite go to bait that can be bought but I'm gonna try squid sometime this week as I've never used it on the beach before. Also have a jack from Friday that I kept that I'll use soon too.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Went fishing in the intercoastal this morning, the surf was to rough. I caught sandfleas first thing and used them as bait. I guess the planet's and star's were correctly aligned. Because the fishing was good, I caught two Pompano that I consider monsters, both were just shy of 18 inches. I must have been fishing in a school of giant croakers. three of the croakers were upwards of twenty inches (I started measuring my fish, so I can give everyone a idea what size fish I am talking about). I have never caught croakers so big, they looked very similar to Redfish.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mike j wrote:Went fishing in the intercoastal this morning, the surf was to rough. I caught sandfleas first thing and used them as bait. I guess the planet's and star's were correctly aligned. Because the fishing was good, I caught two Pompano that I consider monsters, both were just shy of 18 inches. I must have been fishing in a school of giant croakers. three of the croakers were upwards of twenty inches (I started measuring my fish, so I can give everyone a idea what size fish I am talking about). I have never caught croakers so big, they looked very similar to Redfish.
Awesome! Thanks for the report, glad to hear fishing was good for you.
Sounds like you had a blast of a time especially with those large croakers.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

awesome... finally something... pic would be even nicer...

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

This is embarrassing, I take pictures on my Samsung phone all the time I just don't know how to put them on here.

boriqua187
Fisher

Post by boriqua187 »

Hey I usually fish north of you toward juno to hobe sound and have been doing pretty good with the pomps. Its worth the drive until spring comes around if you ask me and I live in delray beach.

Using this site is the easiest way to upload an image.

https://imgur.com/

Drag the image and then click the arrow on the right and choose share links, then copy and paste the one next to "BBCode (Forums)" into your message.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Thanks for the info on putting my pictures on the site. Yeah I just started catching Pompano in that size, which when using appropriate tackle are a great fight. Those are some nice Black Drum, I rarely see them much here. I lived in Juno and Jupiter for almost fifteen years and I agree they seem to be fishier, than areas south. You and I have had this conversation before, and it sure looks like you have a good point, looking at your pictures. I can't explain why I like to fish in West Palm but I do.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Went fishing in the surf at 7 a.m. on Palm Beach, the surf wasn't to bad, the water was a little cloudy. I caught some fleas, they were hard to find. I was fishing three rods, I caught two nice Pompano and a bunch of Pomeletas which I released. I have been averaging about two big Pompano per trip. I bought a used twelve foot surf rod, I didn't realize what I was missing.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

i went out friday night and saturday night and it was bad. surf was terrible, couldnt hold bottom with a 4oz pyramid. cut off by a bluefish on friday but landed nothing. saturday got two short mangroves. probably wont head out til later this week when the wind drops a bit.

i also used jack instead of ballyhoo, probably the last time i do that for awhile lol. maybe ill try it again in a few weeks when the weather is better but now its back to ballyhoo.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Went fishing yesterday morning, surf was flat, water was crystal clear. The bite was slow and the sun was strong. I caught three Pompanetas and two small Jacks. It almost seemed to calm for me, I think you need some waves for good surf fishing.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mike j wrote:Went fishing yesterday morning, surf was flat, water was crystal clear. The bite was slow and the sun was strong. I caught three Pompanetas and two small Jacks. It almost seemed to calm for me, I think you need some waves for good surf fishing.
Yeah seems to be the case when it is calm, I get mostly small jacks during the early morning at sunrise and then the bite is gone.
Seems to turn on when the water is churning a bit.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Went out fishing for the first time in almost two weeks,I had relatives visiting, what a nightmare. I was really psyched to fish this morning. The surf was 3-6 the water was slightly cloudy and I couldn't find any fleas. I was fishing frozen shrimp and couldn't keep it on the hook. Between the crabs and spots, I was rebaiting every 5 minutes. I caught 1 Pompaneta, 3 Blue Runners and 2 Spots, needless to say it was a disappointment. Anyone filling the cooler lately ?

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Well I have to be honest, fishing has been pretty bad, here. I have been trying to puzzle out what's going on. I have been trying different tide periods. I have been trying different baits and artificials, but its been slim pickings. I went out this afternoon, the surf was 2-3 , water was pretty clear and fleas every where. I fished three rods two with fleas and one I was casting with some topwater lures. keeping it short I caught one Blue Runner and left in about two hours talking to myself.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

It looks like the water temp hasnt really changed but, the baro pressure is going crazy every couple of days. Kinda like watching fish swim around doing nothing during a slack tide. If you can, try just in front of the next drop. I like hearing fleas are plentiful. Are you close to the Juno pier?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

No, I fish north of the Breakers on Palm Beach island. The fleas are really thick, but nothing was eating them. Also it must be crab season because there are a ton in the surf.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Mike,

Why not take a nice rod and put one of them crabs on them and give it a try. Might as well, nothing to lose and might trigger something.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Rare, maybe I will give it a try, up here Permit seem to be caught when its warmer, Tarpon also. It can't hurt at the rate I'm going. One of the largest Cobia I ever caught was on a crab in the surf.

CELLFISH
Weekend Warrior

Post by CELLFISH »

Got a 6 pound blue a few weeks ago and it had a good size hook in its belly, this was the second or third time it ever happened to me... cellfish...
... sand under my bare feet is better than subway steps with steel toe boots on ...

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”