Preparing/Eating raw fish

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
kblue
SHARKER

Preparing/Eating raw fish

Post by kblue »

I figure this may be interesting topic. And I would like to share.

By FDA regulation book
sushi restaurants take certain steps in handling and preparing their fish. A required step involves freezing fish at temperatures of -4 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees Celsius) for seven days, or frozen at -31 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 degrees Celsius) for 15 hours, which kills any parasites.
Good news is I have been eating a lot of raw fish without this process and I am still here annoying others :uplol: . While one of my cousin died after eating raw fish at good quality restaurant...but to be fair. I really don't know the exact cause..

I generally be very careful with bottom feeders like red fish, snook, etc...I will do freeze the fillet for a week.

Searing brings more flavor some fish like mackerel

I won't eat mahi mahi raw...don't know why but sushi country people don't eat it...

Some people saying aging taste better...Japanese and many people like aging... But I think it really depends how you cut the fillet.
Some fish like snapper, you are supposed to cut very thin. For snapper, thinner, taste better. But it is time consuming job...
Fish like tuna, I think you need to cut thick, for which aging may make taste better.
But I don't care of aging. I will eat blackfin tuna raw at my heart beat.

For big fish, depending on how you cut, you may experience different taste. It may also depend on type of food you are typically eating.
Some people like chewy and some don't. I just can't explain well...But cut is important.

Some Japaneses I know almost never use wasabi but only soy sauce because wasabi kills true flavor of fish.
You are supposed to eat ginger to get rid of flavor (refresh your mouth) from previous fish you ate.
Some people like sweet red hot sauce...

I know some sushi restaurant owners in Saw grass mall and Ft Lauderdale... One has been fishing FL about 30 years... I saw him bleed the fish immediately after catch... Bleeding seems also important...

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”