Key biscayne

Yak Fishing Reports from around the State of Florida
grouperking
Old Salt

Key biscayne

Post by grouperking »

Went out today to key biscayne under the huge bridge you have to pass over and caught nothing we used everything we had (live shrimp, frozen shrimp, pompano jigs, shrimp on corks) and got absolutely nothing except for 1 bluerunner, 1 pinfish, 1 mullet (i castnetted near the beach), and 1 margate. Was the WORST day under that bridge but at least I learned a lesson = NEVER go fishing with a friend over 250 in a kayak :scold:

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Key biscayne

Post by baseball4life702 »

Don't hate, I am like 230-240 and I will show you how to handle a kayak like a man, besides never do a tandem just use separate yaks much easier. You wasted your time under the bridge might as well just fished from it if you think about it.. Now, there is an old reef on the north side of the toll bridge not much left down there but I hear people get mutton and hogs in there. But if you were really smart you would have paddled a little south and hit the reef on the back of mercy hospital, there's also the half moon just off bear cut and if you were really jonesin for fish take the journey out to the reef... Since you had a kayak you could have gone anywhere but the bridge and would have done a little better that was mistake número 1... If you have a smartphone there was another option of using the navionics app to find a spot or two... Next time you want to do a yaking trip in key biscayne hmu I will guide you around if you want

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

K man thanks for offer will consider but for a guy thats 140 determined to catch a fish with an inexperienced 250+ immature 13 year old its hard not to hate

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

grouper king, dont feel bad, i had a similar experience under the card sound road bridge. Me and a 250 pound buddy in a 10 foot john boat. Motor overheated and we had to paddle in , only had about 3 inches of freeboard.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Fish along the seawall by the seaquarium. I've caught gags, blacks, snook, grovers, muttons etc. the point of a kayak is to fish where you can't from land, so don't fish right next to the most popular and overfished spot in Dade and expect to slay em.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

nothing beats the park brotha.. just need to find the right tide, right holes, right day, right time, right tackles, right baits... oh wait, what did i just say? never mind.. just fish the park... (tommy :reeling:

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Poseidon10/31 wrote:the point of a kayak is to fish where you can't from land, so don't fish right next to the most popular and overfished spot in Dade and expect to slay em.
Lol :thumleft: you said it better than i could

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:Fish along the seawall by the seaquarium. I've caught gags, blacks, snook, grovers, muttons etc. the point of a kayak is to fish where you can't from land, so don't fish right next to the most popular and overfished spot in Dade and expect to slay em.
all on shrimp?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Bait doesn't matter dude, the point is you caught nothing because you went where people on land go to catch nothing lol u needed to paddle in any opposite direction of the bridge and fish. The seawall around the sequarium is a good spot because it isn't heavily pressured as it can only be accessed by kayakers, boaters or waders but I wouldn't wade around there. And I'll say it again the reef on the back of mercy hospital produces grouper, mangroves, cuberas, trout, and plenty others too as it is one of the closest reefs to shore in the area, u could almost take a inflatable raft in there if there was easier access.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

+1 for not wading there

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

baseball4life702 wrote:Bait doesn't matter dude, the point is you caught nothing because you went where people on land go to catch nothing lol u needed to paddle in any opposite direction of the bridge and fish. The seawall around the sequarium is a good spot because it isn't heavily pressured as it can only be accessed by kayakers, boaters or waders but I wouldn't wade around there. And I'll say it again the reef on the back of mercy hospital produces grouper, mangroves, cuberas, trout, and plenty others too as it is one of the closest reefs to shore in the area, u could almost take a inflatable raft in there if there was easier access.
K man next time im out there definitely will head out there and just wondering how far out is it?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

The mercy reef or seawall? I will give you both, the seawall is literally at the end of the beach you could reach by foot but its trespassing, for there just launch kayak in crandon marina and paddle up to sequarium.
As for mercy reef I would prob launch off the beach at the bridge and just head south along the coast line till you hit the first set of channel markers (deering channel) the reef is on the other side of the markers but you will see the hospital and la sale high school vividly and from one end of the hospital to the other is the reef you can easily see on google maps there is a square where the water color changes that's is the reef, it's avg 8-12 feet deep and loaded with concrete rubble. A Google search will provide more
Once again I recommend navionics app if you have a smartphone and their website is same as app if you can't use apps

And saltydog I see people wading there every now and then, hate to say I tried it myself once but then I became aware of the sharks lol young and stupid

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Yea if you looking to stay close to shore that is the place, I know a lot of guys that spearfish from kayaks or just shore that go in there and some by the toll bridge in key biscayne where there's another much older reef to on the north side

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Much appreciated for the input

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

good spot to set up a nice drift, i recently took skiff there. set drift all the way south past dinner key. there is grass flats,that rubble reef,docks,rocks. every habitat that holds diff fish.

Return to “Florida State Yak Fishing Reports”