State official cancel snook season till Sept

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
byf
Fisher

Re: State official cancel snook season till Sept

Post by byf »

I waded by the Haulover canal today. I found 3 dead sea turtles, more than 20 small tarpon, at least a dozen snook, and a mess of puffers and other species washed up on shore and floating. I took as many as I could to the bank to feed the birds that were everywhere. It was pretty sad.

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

Well, it is easy to call these decisions hasty, I think that the FWC did what it had to do. In the long run it can only benefit the local angler. I could give two f**ks about rich yanks coming down to fish for our snook. I have always thought that tourists should only be catch 'n' release anyways.

772kayakhunter
Fisher

Post by 772kayakhunter »

before the fish kill i was pumped that snook season would open soon. after seeing all the dead snook im happy for the remaining snook that they closed the season. only problem is that i wont be selling any snook jigs to local snook fisherman until they open the season.

772kayakhunter
Fisher

Post by 772kayakhunter »

772kayakhunter wrote:before the fish kill i was pumped that snook season would open soon. after seeing all the dead snook im happy for the remaining snook that they closed the season. only problem is that i wont be selling any snook jigs to local snook fisherman until they open the season.
so im out of buisness

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

Robalo, you seem to know a lot about florida fishing even though you live in oregon. When was the last time you fished down here?

Of course, I understand that tourists are important to florida economy, but lets be honest a snowbird that comes from up north more than likely will be happy catching anything in our sunny waters, not just snook. Also if they are a super-dedicated snook enthusiast, they could go to Mexico, Belize, or Costa and catch their snook of a lifetime. Like I said before, I don't think tourists should be able to keep protected species that require a stamp. Catch and Release only. So that means no lobsters, snook, or tarpon.

I'm personally happy that snook season is closed to allow time for these dudes to recover. I personally never keep snook, but I obviously like catching and releasing them. I can't wait for summertime nights.

772kayakhunter
Fisher

Post by 772kayakhunter »

robalo wrote:
772kayakhunter wrote:
772kayakhunter wrote:before the fish kill i was pumped that snook season would open soon. after seeing all the dead snook im happy for the remaining snook that they closed the season. only problem is that i wont be selling any snook jigs to local snook fisherman until they open the season.
so im out of buisness
Maybe. Nothing would stop this Gator from tossing jigs around. Honestly; are you going to quit tossing? Do you have a special jig which only a Snook will inhale and Jacks, Tarpon, Redfish and many others will completely ignore? :pistols: You do understand that in order to shut down Snook season, you`d have to shut fishing down? Image
their also called red tail hawks, flair hawks or jigs. ill always throw them for sure. everyone in the jensen and fort pierce and sebastian area uses them.
in jensen and fort pierce we get a lot of snook on them and sometimes tarpoon mixed in, up in sebastian they even get redfish on them. to give you an example i got 50-60 keeper snook last season on them. all the local snook fisherman around here mostly fish when snook are in season and they buy my jigs by the dozen. all 6 orders i had before the snook season announcement got cancled.

772kayakhunter
Fisher

Post by 772kayakhunter »

thats how most of the locals around here fish to tell you the truth. they straight up told me thats why they cancled. i knew it was coming. ill start selling jigs again when they open snook season or if for some reason people want them, nobody around here buys them when snook arent in season, i mean they will stock up on them right before season opens but thats it.

Walkabout
Fisher
Location: Seattle, WA most of the year. Big Pine Key when I'm able.

Post by Walkabout »

Drove from Seattle to Flamingo to try for a snook or two. You all know what happened next. I saw hundreds of dead snook and tarpon in the marina at Flamingo. There must have been thousands of vultures circling Flamingo all week. What a sad sight. Well...........I'm off to the Keys to try to lighten my mood.

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

dude, after a drive like that it must have been a let down. Did you make it up to whitewater bay?

penn-reel-ryan
Fisher

Post by penn-reel-ryan »

i think personally that the season is better off being closed but i dont see anything wrong with catching them, snook that is. i think the population is smaller but not in any danger. i was just up in a marina around the palm beach area and caught 6 snook 4 of them slot. all were released safe but i think that proves that the population of ocean dwelling snook is doing just fine. i do have a pic of one but i am still trying to figure out how to put them up. any help would be a big help. thanks

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

I have been catching snook consistently since the end of the cold weather as the previous poster mentioned. Yesterday was the first day they ran small, for the most part they have been around slot, I don't measure or keep them ever.
I'd be interested in some of those jigs.

Cyrinn
Fisher

Post by Cyrinn »

robalo wrote: Besides tossing jigs and DOAs, there should be certain proven measures taken to optimize the juvenile fish which depend heavily on brackish to freshwater intertidal zones. I`m not convinced anyone took me seriously when I suggested bolstering the Gambusia(Mosquito Fish);
tthis little miracle fish is a major food source for young Snook. Where fish are concerned, the less hungry they are, the faster they grow.
Impressive post. I am curious, how would you increase the numbers of gambusia?
robalo wrote: Closing Snook season sounds symbolic . You will not stop Snook fishing, and you will discourage enough people to wipe out gainful employment; meanwhile, the burlap bag bunches will grow. I would perhaps limit the number of slots per season each angler can harvest, but I would never deny deep fat fried boneless snook to anyone willing to pay.
Insightful. IMO the closure will do little to nothing for the state's snook population whereas it will definitely negatively impact the economy. Is it worth it? That will depend on who you ask and where your priorities lie. I have not seen much of the data the closure is based upon, perhaps it does not exist. I did see where they estimated the number of individuals killed and the percentage of the population lost (which was low). Population estimates (especially in "open" systems) are not that accurate and tend to underestimate the true population. I will let you in on a little secret. Sometimes agencies will do something to show the public they are doing something, when in fact they know it will have little effect or simply have no idea. Not to say that is the case here 8) but without satisfactory data, it is speculation.

No doubt the burlap bag bunches (lol) will grow, but will likely result in somewhat less take than if the season were open. This would be an interesting topic to study, but nigh impossible unless there is a miracle and the bunches come clean.
robalo wrote:The surviving fish are in good shape to come back strong if the cold stays at bay for several years to come. The only problem I see is; where`s the money and manhours going to come from if any restoration projects are reccomended?
True, competition will be somewhat decreased, leading to faster growing, more fit, individuals. It will be interesting to say the least about restoration since the state is broke. I am not sure what they could possibly do anyway (stock fish?). Closing the fishery for a few months will not replace all those fish. That would take years.
sear-in

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

fishnfool73 wrote:Where on the West Coast are you ? The majority of the snook kills I have seen were far north of their traditional range. The last decade of mild winters and the rebounding of their stocks had snook spreading where they shouldn't be living. Based on that I see no reason for the shut down. No more than them not shutting them down after the red tides and fish kills you guys got hit with over there a few years back. I don't see the need based on what I have seen but your information may change my outlook. This is just overreaction to me.
Not an overreaction at all. In fact, I am happy to see this closure because it is indicative of a good, sound management decision. It is a precautionary approach because it will take time to fully assess the extent of the fish kills. In the meantime, closing the season will prevent further unnecessary mortality and possible detriment to the stock. Closing tarpon and bonefish, two other species that are typically temperature sensitive also makes sense. Virtually everyone releases tarpon and bonefish anyway, so the closure wont affect much.

As for snook, there are plenty of other fish that are good to eat in the meantime. I don't see any issue with catch and release until the full extent of the kills are realized.
Image Image Image

onshore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by onshore »

Snook are my favorite inland species in Florida. At first, I was upset at the closure. Then, I had a chance to go into the Indian River Lagoon with a team of biologists. It was devastation! The worst cases by far were the lower EauGallie River and Turkey Creek in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Literally thosands of dead Snook littered the bottom and drifted downstream on the surface. Thousands of Vultures filled the air and patrolled the banks. We saw a number of Alligators cruising the bottom and scooping up dead Snook. There were more gulls in either river than I've ever seen at the Melbourne landfill.

I think FWS did a good job of closing it down right away.
Bill
Beach & Bay Inspector

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) There should be no questioning. If they need to close it to save the numbers, then do it.

I have seen what restrictions do with Snook. Learn to appreciate it.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

When are they opening up snook season again?
I hear different stories....
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

bump
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

As for now it is suppose to be closed till September.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

bolo wrote:As for now it is suppose to be closed till September.
Thanks. Thats what I thought but I have been hearing other rumors.

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

fishnfool73 wrote:
GET THE NET!!!! wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Way to catch those rare and endangered snook. :mad:
WHAT???
Are you really mad or are you just joking around?
Tongue in cheek doesn't play well online. Pointing out the overreaction to our goverment shutting down the season on snook. Latest word is they will close season for two years . :roll: Mean while you post snook after snook..
:scratch:

GET THE NET!!!!
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GET THE NET!!!! »

GO4EM I heard that it was going to be closed for 2 yrs from several people, although I am not sure if it is true or not, I never looked it up it's just what i've heard.
Team STIFF ROD

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

jettypark28 wrote: Trust me if they were to do another executive order, we would all know about it in no time...
That is a good one.
You know when the gov. takes something away they rarely give it back in the same form or at all.
I hope you are right.

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

THIS IS A QUESTION...not a statement of truth or any attempt at stirring pots..now that's outta the way

Anyone else hear of a possible summer opening for snook?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

jettypark28 wrote:Not with the numbers they threw up.... Hopefully it will open back up in Sept, but you never know and
we won't know till it gets close.
I have talked to a few FWC in my areas and they think it might be close for a whole year :shock:
they don't really know but remember alot of guides are the ones hollering the most to keep it closed, and
it was the guides that seem to have a bigger voice then us rec fishermen.. :roll:

Would assume they're armed with a bit more pertinent/relevant info. than the rest of us, though...in addition to having years of experience with killing-off/respawn and its effects...not to say rec guys are ignorant...just not out chasin em every day of the season(s).
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."

Jwright1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jwright1 »

For sure...that was never in question with me JP.

I was just talking in reference to skewed #s and reports....

If the numbers are there to support (true numbers/stats) the closing, by all means.
Conservation is Key. Period. Ever.
have that problem."

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”