Fishing in and around Mandarin

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Fishing in and around Mandarin

Post by ianthecarpenter »

I'm new to Florida and the forum and would like to meet and talk to other fisherman (or woman) in the Mandarin area. I've been fishing and shrimping in Mandarin park as well as the public boat ramp across from Hooters. I like the ramp area even though it can be a little sketchy alone at night, the park is more late night friendly but closes at 10. Both places have bars and music, often live, that helps pass the time when nothings biting :D. Yesterday I went to the park early and cast netted some bait to take to jacksonville pier. Caught a nice mix of bait including mullet, pin fish, and shrimp. I even caught a few flounder about the size of a dollar bill, all returned unharmed. The park seems to have a wide variety of fish although I've only landed some cats and a trout. Which reminds me to thank the teenager that stepped on and broke myarea fly rod when I was cast netting, you could have been an adult and told me. Luckily it is a TRO and they will replace it under warranty, for 25$ plus shipping. Every time I've fished the ramp across from Hooters I see the manatees, the first time I saw it I thought it was a huge gator! Anyway, I rarely land fish there but other people say it has a good mix also. If I am looking for live bait that ramp produces a ton early or late.

I doubt anyone has read this whole post but if you did and fish the mandarin area post up and share your experiences. Maybe we can help each other find new places to fish. Look forward to seeing you on the banks

fish4fun
Fisher

Re: Fishing in and around Mandarin

Post by fish4fun »

I stopped by that ramp earlier today but assumed it wouldn't produce! I'll try it next time.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

There is allot of fresh and brackish water in that area but you have to travel to get to some salt. Then when you hit 95 its like do I go to jax beach or head a little south to st augie , maybe head up to heckshear drive.
Have you ever tried shrimping across from the roosevelt mall by that railroad truss? It is worth a try.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

I have not tried either but they both look good. I'll try and explore this week end. Thank you for the advice, I always appreciate new info. Have you, or anyone, fished /shrimped those areas?

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

If you get to the old driving bridge I was talking about , I have caught a pile of shrimp there when the water is moving towards the railroad bridge during the day.
You can just watch others when you get there.
One other spot would be the small city pier/dock in green cove springs. Not the boat ramp at the north end of town. It is after the car lots. right off of hwy 17. That spot is kinda deep so you should use one of the nets with webbing stitched in.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Thank you, I will check it out and report back with my results good or bad.

Speaking of bad I decided to try and catch some serious shrimp at Mandarin park last night. I bought some dry cat food, flour, and green glow sticks at the dollar store (although none of it actually cost dollar a dollar :roll: ). Crushed the cat food and mixed some bait using roughly a 50/50 mix of cat food to flour. Went to the pier and set the bait an hour before dark. Sank the glow sticks just before dark by trying them to a weight and the railing so I could adjust the depth and retrieve them when I left. I threw the net a few times away from the bait just to test if the shrimp where in the area and pulled two up in two throws. Great! I could just imagine all the shrimp swarming over to my baited area! Threw out my fishing line just to pass the time. Shrimp with circle hooks. Long night of baiting and throwing only produced a dozen shrimp! Left after 11 with the sad total of 4 cats, 15 crabs, and 12 shrimp. All donated to a family that was also trying to shrimp. Can't wait to try a different spot, that park is frustrating!

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Bait works great but not like that! You have to make them into a form that just sinks to the bottom and stays solid so the shrimp all stick around and munch on it. Try next time mixing in pepsi the sugar will harden it like it does rock candy. Leave it out for a couple days to dry up. Also you can use clay, but pepsi, and some attractant like menhaden oil works best.

I've never used glow sticks before, either use a hydro glow and sink it with a 5lb weight or get a high powered lantern and hang it on your bow. Put a clothes hanger on the outside of your bow and stick your lantern on it.

You can't just blindly throw at shrimp, if your fishing on a boat, you have to mark the shrimp first on your cheap fishfinder, then go back a boatlength and throw the net. Each throw should produce anywhere from 30-150 scrimp.

Go to Lee Noga website, she posted some good gps numbers and locations on jacksonville area along the st johns river up. Very good areas with tons of shrimp, get your 5 gallons easy.

Btw, those blue crabs are good eating, you made that family happy‚ good for you.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Thank you, unfortunately I do not have a boat. I will check the website, any information is good.

I forgot about julington creek and clarks fish camp, anyone fish the ramp or doc?

While I was in the middle of my failed attempt at shrimping someone suggested I try the county dock. Anyone have experience with it?

killula
KING MACKEREL

Post by killula »

Down there the closest county dock is Palatka, its a great dock and produces a ton of shrimp, bring a powerful lightsource a net a 5 gallon bucket bait and a cast net.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Went to my new favorite spot at the end of county dock road here in mandarin. This one is on the river with tons of space and good lighting. Mullet where everywhere and being chased everywhere. One if the cast netters pulled one up that was over 2 pounds! Caught some cats on cut mullet and nothing on live. Broke out the fly rod and caught a ton of pin fish while waiting for a hit on the mullet. Something hit the fly and cut the line before I had a chance to set the hook, no pressure on the line. I saw the line move and when I pulled I never felt the weight or any resistance. Can't wait to go back.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Stopped by on my way home. Tarpon were absolutely destroying the mullet, I have never seen anything like it. Caught two reds and a couple trout all still swimming around tonight. Pulled up some huge mullet when casting for bait.

When does the mullet run stop?

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Went back after work until sunset. Caught a ton of fish, mostly pin fish but they are fun on the fly rod. Five trout with two being legal, gave them away. Caught croaker, under reds, an eel, saltwater perch (according to the kid fishing next to me ) and netted a ton of bait fish for my next trip to the pier. Can't remember how many of what now but the fly rod was a hit on every cast with the bait caster going off every so often. Top it off with a great sunset and manatees and it was a great evening.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Hopefully the bite will hold up through the fall.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

You should tie a few mullet flies. Nothing huge as it will become water logged after a few cast. Wool head or deer hair will work. If you keep getting cut off tie on a wire leader. #3 or #4 would be fine. Don't be surprised to see Bluefish and Mackerel in the mixes. Good luck.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

As this is only my third month here I have no clue how long the runs last or what fish mover through the river so thank you even one that posts advise.

Now that you mention it I did catch a few blues in the cast net along with the mullet, pogie, and "blue runners" what ever they are.

I never thought I would need a wire leader fly fishing, looks like I will need to evaluate all my terminal tackle :D

Do you have a recipe for a mullet fly? Or maybe a good site I can go check out?

After living in Texas for five years this place is just increadable :D

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Went to the spot again tonight and had fun. Met a lot of people and enjoyed the weather. Took my last fly rod a 3wt and caught the usual pin fish and trout. Bait was everywhere and I thought my net would break it was so full. I had four or five good runs on live bait but lost them all. Sometimes I love circle hooks and sometimes I hate them. Any advise in choosing the right size?

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Went to the dock a few more times. I always meet new people with different levels old experience. I wish more people on this forum where in my area. Caught a 10 pound cat fish yesterday, would have brought it home but the wife thought I was working late :D. Last week I grabbed a bucket of mullet from the dock and fished Jacksonville pier, caught some blues and trout. Saw a few nice flounder pulled up. I will try and add more pictures.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

My first picture tries

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Nice river cat
Is that the buckman bridge in the background

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

I think it is.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

Went to the spot a couple times this week for bait. I have no idea what patterns control the mullet but they drive me crazy. I am just going to make a new rule, if I see high winds and waves go back home. I usually toss a line in and start working the dock with the net around a hour before dark. High winds and waves one night produced four mullet and nothing on the fishing rod. Next night less wind moderate waves produced as many mullet as I wanted and stripped bait. Can anyone tell me what conditions control the mullet?

Took my bait to the Jacksonville pier and caught this shark along with a ton of blues. Can't wait to land a nice red or flounder. Surf is to high for me now so I will try again this weekend.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

That is one Happy looking catfish, lol......Nice baby shark...Thank s for the report.

ianthecarpenter
Fisher

I haven't reported for a while but I started hoping to find others that fish my area and that didn't happen so I don't know why I should continue. So here is my last report, fished my usual sports around Mandarin with mixed results.

Cold windy days and I got shut out. I'm just going to stay home on windy days, its not worth the trouble.

Warm, cold, or in-between as long as the wind is low I catch fish. Mullet are still thick around the Mandarin county dock. I just lost the largest trout I've seen at the railing tonight, caught on a frozen mullet, and it broke my heart! That does it I'm buying a net. Damn thing spit the hook or the hook came out some how. I tried to catch some bass from the pond at Mandarin park with my home made flies and failed, it looked like they where eating the smaller ciclids so I'll try and tie something similar.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”