NOOB With some Questions

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
ermaclob
Fisher

NOOB With some Questions

Post by ermaclob »

really want to begin spearing............... but im a real novice and rules seem to confuse me.

1. must fish 100 yards from beach....is that far to swim out? what persuasions should i take?

2. Monroe county is on lock down for spearing but is Miami-Dade as well?

3. can i fish in Miami beach,south beach, beaches in that area/ and or Key Biscayne ?

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: NOOB With some Questions

Post by crashmister »

As long as the beach is not part of the state parks like John U LLoyd you can probably spear there but you may want to give FWC a call just to be sure. You can spear 100 yards off ULLoyd but you cant have a spear gun in the park or any state park for that matter. These guys know a lot more about it than I do.
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... 70&t=16088
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

ermaclob
Fisher

Post by ermaclob »

so if i were to say do it in front of the fountain blue resort there would not be a problem as long as i say 100y out.?? - i don't want to go to far north.

JSheffey
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSheffey »

i have a lot of the same questions. what all does it take for someone to get started into this sport. what all should i buy to get started?

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Although this post is a long time coming... I have not had time for spearing in awhile, and have not checked this forum...

Anyways.

You need florida regulations, and salwater license.

You need a dive flag. If you bring a yak, you need a bigger flag. (see regs)

You need to know what you are shooting, and the regulations pertaining to what you are shooting. Remember that fish look bigger under water than they really are. If you think that they are close, or just barely legal, don't shoot them. Check regs for specifics on size and catch.

You need basic free dive equipment. To start with, you can go with anything that you want really. Fins, Mask, Snorkel, Gloves, Belt, and Weights. ( I like a wet suit, but not needed if water is warm.)

Dive knife. A pointed one. If you don't kill the fish with your shot you will need to knife him in the brain. Don't stab yourself... I have.

Speargun / Spear Pole / Hawain Sling -

Speargun - Depends on what you are shooting. Starting out? Boatless? Yakless? I would personally get something small, a "reef" speargun. 100m You can go big if you are going blue water, or planning on spearing monster fish off of wrecks, but since this is boatless fishing, I am thinking beach swims out to shallow reefs.

Spear Pole- The big yellow ones you see at dive shops will do the trick for small fish. If you want to spear something bigger you will need better spear poles with interchangable single prong tips. There are really some cool ones if you look around.

Hawain Sling- I suck with these. Everyone I know sucks with these. If you are a serious bad ass, roll with one of these, and watch your buddies slay with their spear poles and spear guns.

Shallow Water Blackout*- Do not hyper ventalate or try to increase oxygen in your blood by taking a bunch of large breaths before diving. You can trick your body into thinking things are all good, when really your oxygen is gone. The result is you blackout immediatlly, and drown. Read up on this. Not to be played with.

http://scuba-doc.com/latenthypoxia.html

Get a map of the reefs, or head out to Oakland Park blvd, and find a beach. Swim way the hell out and find a reef to harvest on. I use a yak now, but in the past I swam out.

Always bring friends. Don't go out alone. Don't go iff you can't swim, or you are out of shape. Do more research. Don't break the law. Don't piss off fisherman. Stay away from the piers, it is illegal. If in doubt on regs, ask or call someone with fish and game.,
Kizer

Zoldax
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Zoldax »

Thanks for the post Kizer, lots of valuable info.

ermaclob
Fisher

Post by ermaclob »

thanks, by know ive already started but what you said is pretty much what i did, good post

sight fisher 131
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sight fisher 131 »

Your pretty much swimming the length of a football field out.
zzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzz FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

if your diving with out a yak i would suggest getting a float flag that can trail behind you like this

they have 1/4 poly cord and can be attached to the tank and out of the way , we just let out 150 foot and its good to go

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

NEVER attach a float to you or your gear with a "hard" connection, like tying the float directly to the cylinder or a D-ring on your BC or weight belt. You never know what may come along and snag it...whatever, you're going for a ride whether you want to our not. If you're going to attach it to your gear rather than hold it the entire time (which is a PITA) use a cable tie around the tank neck and clip the float line to the cable tie. Strong enough to be towed around but will serve as a break-away if needed.
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”