Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2011-2012 "Reports Only"

This area is for Archived Pier fishing reports so those interested can go back in time and see what was being caught. This area will include all Old Pier Threads and any other fishing report threads that are archived.
Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Juno Fishing Pier Reports 2011 "Reports Only"

Post by Albacized »

Good to here the bait is around...that's a good start (as long as it stays around on a consistant basis)

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

I walked out on the pier for about half an hour on Saturday....talked to some of the guys I know out there and there wasn't anything very exciting happening. There were a lot of baby sardines at the T for bait, but no large ones. The Bluerunners were chewing on the baby dines and the odd dink mack, but other than that, didn't see much happening. A few pomps were caught up in the surf earlier in the day. Definitely not the normal summer fishing we are used to for Juno!!

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

its been alright out there with a cooler full of runners if you put in your time a few mackeral and the rare bonita. bait runs all the time but even if u get a diamond jig in em they wont eat for some reason. its been pretty hot and sunburn is probablythe only thing your gonna catch right now. hopefully it will soon be better. definetly not normal juno fishing for this time of year.
STEELERS

sn00kslayer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by sn00kslayer »

some bonita starting to come around some jacks and a runners as always. a little bit of big bait showing up and some speedos too!
STEELERS

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Spent the last 4 days down in Juno but now back home in Massachusetts - I enjoyed catching fish with you guys (mostly runners and bonies) as well as shooting the bull. You folks are very helpful and it is certainly appreciated (although I hope I don't have to watch another guy get a lure stuck in his ass again...although to be fair, it was strictly a pants shot and involved no skin breakage:-))

Anyway - take care and see you all next July

boghy
Fisher

Post by boghy »

FYI - Bonies r hot very early in the morning on plugs or bottom. Over 20's landed yesterday morning by 4-5 people. I can't get apart from the sounding reel when they hit.
-------------------------------------------------------
Having trouble calculating your line capacity on your reel?
Try my self-coded Line Calculator - calculates line conversions and topshots!

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

boghy wrote:FYI - Bonies r hot very early in the morning on plugs or bottom. Over 20's landed yesterday morning by 4-5 people. I can't get apart from the sounding reel when they hit.
It's been like that for the better part of a week...I left there on Thursday to come back home (to Massachusetts) and I persoanlly averaged 4 bonita per morning (plus the usual handful of blue runners), and everyone else who were trying for them got about the same...except I didn't get any on Thursday, which was abbreviated due to having to get reading to travel back home (did get a couple of ceros, blue runners and one small cuda)...and oh yeah, the first day I only caught one bonita (and several runners)...it seemed like it didn't matter if you were going artifical or bait for the bonies, but that the runners seemed to hit the bait better (although I got my share on lures)

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Picked up a loomis pro green 7' 10" rod last week and was dying to take it snooking so I hit Juno beach Thursday right at dawn. Ended up hooking into a solid fish about 5 minutes after arrival, between two nice size pods of bait. After a few solid runs I landed a healthy looking snook and put had it right back in the water to fight another day.

Switched to a zara spook to try and get on some top water action but no bites. In total I spent about 25 minutes on the beach, left for breakfast and a nap.

Snook are there if you find the bait. I'd recommend a smaller, light colored bait if you are using artificials.

As an aside I think I finally found the perfect beach snooking setup. The new loomis w/a stradic ci4, 15lb super 8 slick power pro, 25 lb leader. I like to hit the beach w/that and a pair of pliers, a lure or two, and nothing else. Casts awesome and makes for a fun fight but not so light you tire the fish too much.

Here's the one shitty photo I got:
Image :toast:

Eatsomerice
Fisher

Post by Eatsomerice »

Snook Runners and bonita this morning. TOns of bait around

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

well hit Juno again Monday and Tuesday.....
woke up at 4 on Monday looked at the radar and said I don't think so and went back to bed.... one mean storm was whooping up on the beach.... I don't mind the rain ( in fact love to fish in it LOL ) but there was way too much fire for me... headed up there around 10 when it had all but blown thru.... too late for my usual beach walk but was looking forward to getting some Bonnies and other bait....

No bonnies ( ok there was one or two spread over many hours ) and the bait ( large dines ) was also far and few between.... now if you wanted Snook just toss a bait over the side count to three and set the hook... here was one of the stranger catches of the day....

Alex and his hook caught a broken off line....with snook still attached... line and hook removed snook back to play some more..

Well I wasn't there for the snook so headed home early.... did hear a report of a nice permit that swam by and hung around a piling for a bit before leaving...

Tuesday was more of a normal day hitting the beach well before daylight but alas no snook wanted to play.... I have been doing well on the 24 to 36 inch ones in the surf but not to day.... tide was pretty low but there were fish around I am sure of that...

Headed up on the pier around 7 and made a long cast with a big Ghost Xrap to see if there were any Bonnies around.... turned the handle two or three times and fish on... there was no blazing run so I knew I was in trouble.... sure enough a slob snook had eaten my Xrap 75 yards from the pier... lucky for me she jumped several times and even though I was using 20lb braid I was able to keep her head up and get her into a net...

Like I said I prefer snook from the beach this time of the year but I will take a gift horse anytime.... lots of snook today with the heavy rod crew but the bonnies were a no show again.... headed out around 1 pm

West wind for Wed so I wil take care of some other things before working the next 4.... till next week
Rick

Floridahogfish
Old Salt

Post by Floridahogfish »

Hey nice fish rick bout time you landed a big one jk, anyways possibly may have some lobster for you and ur wife let's c what the nxt few days bring
Team Ruff Around The Edges
"Make Money Take Money"

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

Nice snook. :toast: Just wait a month and see the dinosaurs the lowrider/big custom rod crew crank up from under that pier. 3 oz egg sinker and circle hook, thats all I can say. :patriot:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Ty and keep em coming please... For some of us the drive up to Juno is stupid long, however I am very willing to make the trip when the bonies show up in force! It is my favorite kind of land based fishing! Homestead to Juno is a haul though!

-swordfish

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Great report Rick and WOW what a slob linesider! Very nice indeed, that's a fish no man can turn down. Keep it going great job. :dude:

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

swordfish wrote:Ty and keep em coming please... For some of us the drive up to Juno is stupid long, however I am very willing to make the trip when the bonies show up in force! It is my favorite kind of land based fishing! Homestead to Juno is a haul though!

-swordfish
If I can fly in from Boston specifically to periodically fish that place, you can drive up from S. Dade Co to fish it as well :thumleft:

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

PS - don't know what's going on right now (back home) but up to a little over a week ago, the bonnies were in pretty good for a short while each morning...I took a total of about a dozen in just three separate 1 1/2 hour stints each morning, which would've been higher if not for the darn blue runners making their presence known too (heard the afternoon bite was decent too - but had headed off to other ventures for my afternoon 'fishing shifts'...LOL)

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Alba, IMHO, if I were up at Boston, you'd have so much more fun fishing the cape! Ive been up there and LOVED it! I went in October too so had missed most of the fun... Even then I ended up with a bunch of little bass on a bass popper and a few "mystery" fish in the mackerel family. I say mystery fish just because I hooked like 6-7 and was not able to land one, way too much energy coupled with mediocre hooks = shook off each one. Right now though, it is on fire in Chatham and cape beaches... Hell I have heard through the vines that on some days, you even have a shot a big albacore off the beach! With a kayak, some nail smallish blue fins too!

-swordfish

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

swordfish wrote:Alba, IMHO, if I were up at Boston, you'd have so much more fun fishing the cape! Ive been up there and LOVED it! I went in October too so had missed most of the fun... Even then I ended up with a bunch of little bass on a bass popper and a few "mystery" fish in the mackerel family. I say mystery fish just because I hooked like 6-7 and was not able to land one, way too much energy coupled with mediocre hooks = shook off each one. Right now though, it is on fire in Chatham and cape beaches... Hell I have heard through the vines that on some days, you even have a shot a big albacore off the beach! With a kayak, some nail smallish blue fins too!

-swordfish
Definitely the fall is a great time to fish the cape...but the 'albacore' that you're referring to are actually false albacore/little tunny (aka 'albies' to us in the north, 'bonita' or 'bonies' to you folks down south)...and you get them bigger than we do...a 10lb'er is good around this area, while you guys flirt with what would be an Mass state record of 19 lbs on a daily basis.

I'm trying to figure out what the mackerel fish were that you were hooking...I'm thinking either the 'true' (aka atlantic) bonito, which is actually good eating compared to the 'bonita' (false albacore/little tunny) you guys (as well as us) catch...the very same fish (little tunny/bonita) that you can probably catch by throwing the kitchen sink in the water down there can actually become very difficult to catch around here...when they hit bays/inlets and start keying in on bay anchovies, silversides (aka 'spearing') and sandeels, they become very selective...the only time they get 'easy' around here is when they find a school of juvie herring, peanut bunker (menhaden that's less than 6" long) and even finger mullet in some years...but you're more likely to find them on the first set of baits I mentioned...I think that selectiveness is part of the allure of this fish in this area vs the general lack of respect they have down your way. And we get them from the sand and rocks, which makes flyfishing and lighter spinfishing an option (something not viable off the pier)...but yeah, I'm thinking you had either having bonito or false albacore hitting on your stuff.

As far as the bluefin tuna from a yak thing, that's definitely a possibility - although it varies year to year. I had a Hobie Outback until I sold it last year, but never got around to trying that (I did catch the tunny, true bonito, stripers and blues from that - plus used it to drift for fluke and some other food fish back in the bays)...Not sure I'll dive into another one - I had gained a lot of weight and developed a bad back and couldn't stand sitting in the thing anymore...I've now lost 80 lbs and although I feel a 'ton' better, my back isn't 100% yet (although I'll take it the way it is now compared to how it was)...so we'll see on the yak thing...I wanted to rent one when I was down a couple of weeks ago...I was in the Hutchinson Island/Indian River area and it looked awfully fishing and I was wishing I had a yak...I did some wading up near the power plant, but took the skunk home from that experience.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Very cool brother. I want with all my heart to end up at the Cape someday... Even through the winter, the rest of the time the fishing is worth it to me... It is the kind of fishing I enjoy the most. I was fishing off East Dennis, at the Jetty... Was living less than 3 minutes away from it! Thing you must understand about that also is that down here where I live, to be able to fish shore properly I HAVE to drive about 50 miles or so either way... Even though we are surrounded by water, most of it is off limits due to "commercial interests". The ones that are fishable just do not produce year round, it is hit or miss all the time, and after the last cold weather freeze in 2010, most of my spots dried up enough that there is NO fish in them.

-swordfish

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Very interesting reads the last few posts... Im originally from up that way (NY), hence the Bluefish in ny name.... I will have to agree - "when its on" it is on! Hard to beat the fishing up there tossing bucktails and literally every cast results in either a bass or blue. I got a buddy that moved here (Sarasota) from Staten Island NY last October, he cant wait to get back to his "style" of fishing (and we have been debating where it is better for over a decade (here in FL or up in NE area))..... As it is a different style here.... Less "schooling predators" for the most part.... But more species and more varities of ways to fish, from stalking fish in inches of water in bays, to live lining 2lb ladyfish for 100+ pound fish off the jetties... Where it is "better'" is just a matter of opinion!! All I know is come November and they get their first Northeast storm of the year, the pleasant fishing season is just getting started here.

I remember as a teenage getting out for the "bonito" run up there... Stubborn fish... I only got 2 of them up there. Both were on small hooks threaded with "spearing"..... Fun stuff... And I imagine taking what I know now up there, Id be more successful (I cant imagine with braid (longer casts), fluoro leaders, light wire hooks etc etc... Now that I am my memory kick, I remember tossing bucktails off the beach and going home with sore arms after 1 hour of fishing.... Does not happen that much down here... however, 1 hour of non stop bluefish - occasional bass - is not as "satisfying" as 1 sight caught redfish layed up in 10" of water...

Sorry to derail this thread!
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

It's good to see some (former) 'local' guys from (or at least has live up in) the NE chiming in - probably you understand a little better why someone from MA would hop aboard a plane to catch false albacore down in the sunshine state...Mid July, we're kind of in our summer doldrums anyway, which means while there are here to be had, it's night/meat sticking time for stripers...and since I like 1) artificials and 2) fast, pelagic fish...it's the perfect time for me to get away...forget any of that 'escaping cold NE winters for a warm break down south' baloney...I'd rather go when I can catch fish:-D

Besides I am a former sunshine state resident of 8 years (although not anywhere near Juno...actually over in Tampa)...so I kinda know what I'm in for during these summer trips, although I've been in New England for over 20 years, so I'm also a tourist of sorts as well :oops: LOL And it's offseason and cheap :toast:

Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Alba... I am just south of Tampa in Sarasota.... Been here for just over a year after spending 10 years on the SE Coast.... Mainly West Palm/N Broward..... Left NY in 92....
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Surfrat wrote:Huh. Well, I did think I wrote a long response here yesterday? WTF. Not sure where it went. Good read in any case. 8)

I saw your post yesterday (mentioned how you still have a hard time calling albies 'bonito/a)
...not sure where it went either

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

decided to head up to Juno again to see if I could get a few snook and Bonita to play.... woke up at 3:30 and could not go back to sleep so I dressed and headed out.... Plan was to fish the beach with light gear first before going up on the pier but I was a bit early and was hungry so I went here for a bite (haven't done this in a long time )

was on the beach by 5 but alas no one wanted to play... tide was right... I guess I just suck at catching...lots of tracks from where the turtles made their way up the beach to nest but did not see any this time

Up on the pier about 7:30 looked over the side on my way out and man were there a lot of snook swimming close to the beach ( every where along the pier for that matter ) why no one wanted to play is beyond me...

set up out on the t... lots of bait but as the day went on it became harder to get larger size pilchards and fishing the smaller size took lighter gear so the snook would win more often than not but it could still be done.... I even managed to get a slot size on 10lb with a 20 lb floro leader and a long shank that was being fished for Ceros ( very few around BTW ) that the blue runners would get before much else could. still lots of snook were being caught.

Here is young Mr. Nick with a nice one
the funny part was every time he would make a minor infraction ( accidentally kick a rod butt sticking out etc. ) his uncle John would make him drop and do push ups.... who says pier fishing is not good exercise.... LOL

there were a few more Bonnie's than of late but still nothing like a few weeks a go.... 6 or so came over the rail while I was there...

I got this one on the same 10 pound outfit that I was fishing for Ceros and was a real blast took me over 30 min to get it in....

all in all another fun day at the pier but man is it getting hot ( you would think it was the end of July in Florida or something ) I think I will have to start fishing a bit more at night for the next month or two

CYA
Rick

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Great report as always rick!! :cheers:

Return to “Pier Fishing Reports, Threads Archive”