Page 1 of 1

Two Widely Used Knots

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:50 pm
by SnookMook
I interviewed Greg and Bryan Watts, champions of the Redfish Tours, for a future column and they said almost exclusively use only two knots for tying terminal tackle, the Improved Clinch and a Loop knot, so I thought I'd do a piece on that.

http://forshorefishing.theledg...54385

I'm saving my piece on their seminar for next week. I'm gonna work on it over the weekend.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:53 am
by Big Daddy
Nice article. The little red knot book sits next to my tackle at home. Wasn't Harry Nilson a 70's musician before he became known for fishing?

I'm looking forward to the article on leaders.

Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm
by SnookMook
Big Daddy--Thanks. This column stuff is new for me and I'm trying to make it informative and interesting to both beginners as well as seasoned anglers. Also a little humorous and personal.

I hope you like my style. Any input and advice is welcome.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:13 am
by james380
Another good job. I prefer the Improved Clinch for 90% of my knots.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:42 am
by krash
Great article...

I learned both improved clinch and the Rapala Loop knot many many years ago and use them more often than not.

I recently, a few years ago, learned the Palomar and tend to use it more for tying hooks directly to light, 8# or lighter, than the clinch knot.

For line to leader its the Uni to Uni.

Another great site for finding and learnig knots is:

Animated Knots by Grog

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 pm
by Cookinman
Bridge Rat wrote:i just learned how to snell a hook lol
Cool 8)

I just sat in my garage the other night with some cold Khalik's, pretended / wished to be in Bimini and really got a nice clean, compact haywire twist and Albright knot to join the wire to line.

Practiced with various leader line diameter and various braids....

Did em so many times, I feel pretty good about tying either in the dark....


Prolly very basic knots to most of you all, but they were absent from my arsenal. ( I have always shied from wire or just used knottable, in favor of more bites, but am being slowly led to the dark side....lol )