Page 1 of 1
Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:40 pm
by Ham
I fish the canals in my condo complex for large mouth bass using bait fish . What is the smallest bait fish "throw net" i can purchase?
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:56 pm
by fishboy
I would go with a 6-8 foot net for freshwater. What baitfish are you trying to catch?
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:28 pm
by Ham
Small bluegill, sunfish or whatever small fish that is available.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:21 pm
by tears143
fyi, you can't keep bluegill/sunfish for bait with a castnet... They are consider gamefish. Double check with your law just to make sure.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:25 pm
by shos260288
Bluegill, Sunfish, and small bass are a definite no no. I think small Oscars are fine for bait however.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:54 pm
by Ham
I use bluegills or any other bait fish i can catch. I live in a privately owned condo complex where there are many canals. I have yet to see any law enforcement officer patrol this development. The other day i caught a 9lb large mouth bass using a 5" long X 3 1/2" bluegill. That was the largest bass i ever caught. I presently catch baitfish using a light weight pole or a sabiki rig.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:50 pm
by tears143
You can use bluegill as bait...You can't keep them to use as bait when you catch them with a castnet... a little different...
As long as the FWC don't see you with a castnet casting... it should be fine.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 pm
by krash
I don;t see why anyone would need to catch live bait to catch LM Bass... there are way to many artificial offerings that work just fine here in sunny south florida, but I have seen 4' cast nets for sale.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:32 pm
by shos260288
I've always caught my biggest bass on live skinners. As big as you can find, the bigger the better for the large fish. I've had good luck with them fishing the holes in large lily pad patches. You will need heavier line to utilize this technique however.
Re: Smallest Bait Fish Throw Net
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 am
by krash
Guides use live baits because its EASY for them to put clients on fish, butts in the seats, and bucks in the pocket.
Sure if you are looking for a record fish go up to Lake Waln 'n Water and use 12" golden shiners or out to California and fish Lake Castaic.... but for every day fishing I'd suggest larger baits will catch larger bass, start with 10" or bigger plastic worms, try a 16" plastic worm if you want to work a littler harder drag them just above the grass top or along a grass drop-off.. or 6" paddle tail swimming baits. You sure won't catch ans many but most will be quality fish.